АВТОМОБИЛЬНЫЙ МЕДИАМИКС

Swiss Grand Prix

MixedMedia / Acrylic on Canvas
on 45 mm Wooden Museum Frame
160 x 110 cm

A homage to the legendary one-two and one-two-three wins of the W154 Silver Arrow and its drivers Rudolf Caracciola, Hermann Lang, Manfred von Brauchitsch and the Englishman Richard Seaman. Mercedes won 6 of the 8 most important races in 1938 with the car, including the Swiss Grand Prix on the Bremgarten Circuit near Bern. Rudolf “Karratsch” Caracciola became European Champion for the third time. The car was victorious five times in seven races in 1939. With 3 victories, Caracciola was also a record winner on the Bremgarten Circuit.

 

The W154’s twelve cylinder engine had around 450 horsepower and achieved speeds exceeding 300 km/h. It was fitted with a fuel tank with a capacity of 400 litres to match its consumption. The front of the W154 was redesigned in 1939, creating the so-called “shark’s mouth”.

 

The Swiss Grand Prix was a component race of the European Championship until the outbreak of World War II. However, following the Le Mans disaster in 1955, circuit motor racing was banned in Switzerland, sounding the death knell for the Swiss Grand Prix. The Swiss Grand Prix only returned again in 1975 and 1982, but the event was held in Dijon in France.