Post-War Cats

MixedMedia / Acrylic on Canvas
on 1.8” / 45 mm Wooden Museum Frame
78,5” x 51” / 200 x 130 cm

Sir William Lyons founded the ”Swallow” company in Blackpool in 1922 and was initially involved in the manufacture of motorcycle sidecars. Vehicle production commenced in 1931, with cars being given the brand name “SS”. The most powerful models were called the “SS Jaguar”.


Following the Second World War, “Swallow Sidecars” dispensed with the previous “SS” designation to avoid unfortunate connotations with the Nazi organisation, and “Jaguar” became the brand name.


The first Jaguar XK 120 was unveiled at the London Motor Show in 1948, with XK being the engine designation (X standing for experimental) and 120 indicating the final speed in miles. It was succeeded in 1954 by the XK 140 and the XK 150 in 1957. The vehicles were available as an OTS (Open Two-Seater), an FHC (Fixed Head Coupé) with a permanently attached roof and a DHC (Drophead Coupé).


Their many racing successes were reflected in sales figures, with a total of 30.357 XK sports cars being built between 1949 and 1961. Jaguar revived the XK model designation in 1996.